Wednesday, April 4, 2012

It's Poetry Month!

No for reals, April is officially poetry month. Who would've thunk? Maybe because it's all of the bad references to April and springtime frequented in poetry. To celebrate though, one of the students I tutor for work and I wrote poetry together for our tutoring appointment. It was so much fun! We assigned each other topics and wrote our poems in ten minutes. I gave him the topic of rainstorms, and he gave me rocks. I personally think he schooled me, but that's up to you. Here's what we came up with.

Geology by Bailey Loveless
You people suck.
You walk down the street, all tall and mighty,
While I sit on the ground, strong and tiny.
Most of you don't even look at me
And when you do, you kick me around.
You throw me way high into the ground
Then try to beat me into the ground.
It's a hard life I lead
Being abused by the people I meet.
But I don't really mind.
Because in a million years, after you've walked by,
You people will all have died and I'll still be alive.

Rainstorms by Kit Nadado
Can I remember when we last prayed
For rain to soothe the drought
In the earth, in my mind, in my heart
And heal the cracks within

This longing for relief that we never found
Were all suppressed by these dark clouds
That brought not only rain
But wind and thunder and the wrath

Pretty good huh?! I was impressed. In response, you should all write me your own ten-minute poems!

1 comment:

  1. Most of these are ten minute poems http://bwbowler.blogspot.com/p/poetry-month.html

    ReplyDelete