Friday, March 30, 2012

Cars don't hit Bailey. Bailey hit cars.

I walked up the steps to the front door of our unit yesterday, took off my running shoes, and opened the door. Two of my housemates looked up from their bowls of cereal and stopped mid-bite. I stare back at them, remaining in the doorway, holding my wrist.

"What happened?" asked Jessica, after a few moments of uncomfortable silence.

"Not to alarm anyone," I said, shutting the door behind me. "But I just got hit by a car."

Yes. This was the actual conversation that took place yesterday morning. And yes, I was actually hit by a car. Well, more like I hit the car. I have to clarify because when I tell people, they usually think I'm joking given the fact that I'm up and about and still went to class yesterday. I was on my daily run around Laie with my headphones blasting (mistake #1). I came to the cross walk at a round about and didn't think there was a car behind me (mistake #2). However, a car was coming towards me so I paid ample attention to THAT car (technically, that's not a total mistake but for the sake of this discussion we'll call it mistake #3). With my head turned to look at the car, I ran into the intersection (mistake #4). And to my surprise, there was a big white van in my way.

I'm not entirely sure what happened after that because I think I went into a state of shock. I can't tell you whether or not I fell down or bumped my head. My right arm hit the mirror of the car while the left side of my body slammed into the door. I have some lovely bruises on my arm and leg to prove it. So if you see me limping or holding my wrist you now know why. But I think for the most part, I am ok and I will live on.

I am kind of humiliated telling this story, but do as I say and not as I do and look both ways next time
And for the record, I finished my run. So you can't say that I don't go the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment